Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Healthy Habit

Okay...

So I recently stepped out from living in the Dark Ages and have begun utilizing the wide-world of technology I didn't even know I needed until I realized I had it. I know, some of you who don't know me think I am just being cute, saying things like "Dark Ages," and you might be thinking, "Oh, come on Heidi, it couldn't have been that bad."

Well, let me just illustrate for you exactly what it has been like for me. Granted, I'm not all that upset about it, and I'm not trying to have a pity party for myself here. I just chose to go without a few things for a few years. Like television. And internet. I have never downloaded a song. I don't actually own an iPod (although its the next thing on my list). And I just recently put a video of myself on YouTube - I'm not gonna tell you where; if you want to find it, you're on your own.

But I digress. This is not meant to tell you how far behind in the times I was.

Actually, I keep coming back to this Blogging thing. I have always enjoyed writing. I think it was probably the only thing that kept me sane during certain points in my life - like High School. And I began one of these blogs, a couple years ago, and then I began another, and another... and I guess I kinda lost track or something, because now I've got three or four of these things that look like they were just abandoned. I guess I just got bored or something, so I picked up and moved onto the next when I got tired of looking at a particular template. I dunno. I've been a bit of a rolling stone my entire life, so why not?

Well, looking at these poor neglected blogs, I felt a little ashamed. I always boasted how great of a writer I was, how much I loved to do it, how I had been writing my whole life, blah blah blah. And here I was, with a track record of MAYBE 2 or three posts a year. Are you kidding me? And you called yourself a writer - Ha!

But then I thought, "Why get all bent out of shape about it?" After all, if something bothers you, especially if it's a personal flaw, then fix it. Get off your butt and do something about it. A history teacher of mine in high school had a bumper sticker that said it perfectly, I thought: "Stop Bitching, Start A Revolution". And I enjoy doing it. I really do. I was just making excuses that limited my mind, and therefore limited me.

We all do it, we're all guilty of it. I know I was telling myself things like "I don't have time." Oh yeah? Make time. How much time do you need, really? You're writing a blog post, not a novel. All you need is 10 - 15 minutes, tops. Then it went from "I don't have time" to "I don't know what to write about/I have writers block." A little more creative as far as excuses go, but it's still lame. What to write about? Look out the window. Anything. That's what is so cool about this - you can write about anything, you can write about nothing. You can write about what you had for lunch today, about doing your dishes, about a book you read - ANYTHING!

So this is going to be it - this is where I am going to try and write something, anything. A post a day. That is my homework. Maybe even a picture or two.

I really have been writing my whole life though. That wasn't a lie. But then, about five years ago, my life got a little hectic - my parents divorced, I moved a bunch of times, I partied a lot in college, etc. I stopped writing, drawing, creating. I even stopped reading. That one really killed me. Something that I had been doing since I was really, really, really little, that I was really good at and loved more than words could ever say.

But crazy stuff happens to us all in our lives. So I think this is going to be my form of rehab - to get me back into the groove of writing, reading, drawing, creating. It is a habit - a healthy habit - that we all should do. It's easy to fall out of, now that we're known as the "unplugged" generation. Let's face it, no one actually reads anymore. But I think it is necessary for life, to grow and change as a human being.

So this is it. This is my blog - my one and ONLY - and it is about everything. And it is about nothing. So... yeah. Thanks for reading.

Peace Be Upon You

Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment